Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I'm a Race Snob

The e-mail from a national running club opens up to reveal numerous races over the next couple of months in my region. 5K 'Fun Runs', Community 10Ks, 'Trots', five or ten mile obstacle course runs, 25K's or half marathons, shorter trail runs, and even marathons are mentioned. The e-mail is deleted.

It dawns on me. I have quickly become a race snob. It's probably not a good thing, and makes me appear like a major jerk. These community, and shorter runs, are good fun and would have plenty of people that would leave me in the dust. But they don't feel like they fit me.

Upon finishing the Deception Pass 25K in December, I was hit with the strangest feeling.  I wanted more.  I wasn't tired enough, and ultimately thought the race was too short. The same feeling hit me after my Beacon Rock 50K.  I want more. I want to do another loop. I am tired, yes, but I don't feel like I've completely explored all my limits. 

So, I'm now a little more than 30 days away from White River 50 mile. I wait in eager anticipation. I can't get the thought of the race out of my head.  I want to experience the Buck Creek aid station and beyond. I want to see what it feels like at the end of 50 miles.
White River 50 Course Elevation Profile
.

No comments:

Post a Comment