Thursday, December 6, 2012

Deception Pass 50K Pre-Race Thoughts

It's like a homecoming of sorts. After years of Whidbey Island being my 'on again/off again' home, I always cherish going back here. I ran the 25K here last year, and the first thought I had upon my finish was, 'too short'.

I've been averaging 45 miles a week, so this race will end up being my lowest weekly mile output, from a training perspective. My legs were fresh until Thursday of last week. Then my left knee started giving me some slight discomfort, so I backed off a bit with training, and eliminated road training (not that fun anyways) altogether.

I've been going back and forth on what shoes to use, and I've moving forward with the Saucony Peregrine 2's. I've been doing the majority of my miles in them, and they feel the most comfortable. They don't have the greatest grip when wet, but I do feel much more agile with them (I'll need the added agility for this course).

Other variables I'm intrigued to evaluate:
  • Fueling: Almost another subject in itself, but how does a high-fat diet work out on race day?
  • Shoes: Does the shoe choice impact speed or comfort? 
  • Knee: Does it factor into the race?
  • Course Knowledge: Does knowing, and having run the course in races and training, benefit me?
  • Training: Does the lesser amount of training miles affect me?

Finally, pics from where I've been training the most: Dash Point State Park, Deception Pass State Park, and Mt. Si.

Dash Point State Park

Deception Pass State Park

Deception Pass State Park

Mt Si.

Deception Pass State Park

Goose Rock, Deception Pass State Park


No comments:

Post a Comment